Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cryotherapy....I'm a believer




Most of you are saying cryo what? It actuallys means cold therapy and I am here to tell you it is genius....painful and tortuous yes, but genius. The past 3 months training I have soaked in a 50 degree water after every long run and on most sprint days to avoid injury and soreness and I think it's worked. And I've mastered the art of doing it without tears (the first time I cried it hurt so much). So, for those of you who run, play sports, bike, etc. try it. The steps below will ensure you won't die of pain and you'll reap HUGE benefits. Don't trust me? Research cryotherapy online and see what great benefits sitting in ice has.

1. Fill tub with 2 inches of luke warm water.
2. Make hot tea, or hot water in a ceramic cup to hold while submerged.
3. Put on a warm sweatshirt and hat
4. Grab your favorite reading material

Now for hard part

5. Get into the luke warm water (this is the key- you don't shock your body by already being in warm water).
6. Turn on the COLD water. Let the water fill up until you are hip deep
7. Have your hubby/wife add ice (about 1/2 bag)You can actually go wo/ice too- I've tried both

Yes it will sting
Yes your legs will feel like frozen steak
Yes the "rethaw" hurts .... a lot!


BUT

Yes, you will be amazed at the results. I can run 17 milers or a day of HARD CORE sprints and I feel completely fine the next day.

I also give props to these two items.... which have been most critical

The foam roller and this saying.





2 weeks until race day... I'm already getting nervous. Pathetic huh?

3 comments:

Krista said...

Are you crazy?? There is NO WAY I would do that! I have a hard time getting into a pool that is supposedly 75 degrees. I HATE cold water. I guess it could be worth it if it prevents pain from running....maybe. :)

jeffandbrianne said...

Personally, I think the roller is a whole lot more painful than the ice bath. The roller is what makes me cry. I actually love the ice bath. You're going to do so great Kari. I'm excited for ya!
Brianne

jeffandbrianne said...

OK, I just realized it's a foam roller. Never mind on that. I had a wooden roller used on me...don't ever do that!