Friday, December 19, 2008

Marathon Love and Jamie Parks


I have thought about this show all week long. I hope some of you watched it and will give me your thoughts on how inspiring this family was. This year I think I have been in need of inspiration more than most and this story was the ticket.

This man, Jamie Parks fell in love with his wife Lynn back in the 1980's. Then, only months before their wedding Lynn was in a tragic car accident leaving her body extremely mangled and a severe brain injury. Did Jamie leave? No. Knowing their lives were forever changed, Jamie stuck by her side. It took her 7mns. to speak (her speech is still very slurred today) and 7 years to walk but as promised he married her in 1994 and since then they have accomplished the following:

* Had a beautiful daughter (natural birth)
* Ran 170 races while Jamie runs and Lynn and baby girl ride in the wheelchair
* Qualified for the Boston Marathon pushing Lynn in an astounding 3:12:00!
* Completed the Boston Marathon together in only 3:25 minutes.

To make it more amazing, Jamie had recorded most of their life together from way back in the 1908's. Now his daughter will be able to watch his unwavering love for her mother. I was so moved by this man.
His love for her is Christlike love. He can see her, not her body or her imperfections. I have thought about that so much this week. How Christ see's our goodness and our potential and reaches out to us to help us become what he sees we can be.
I hope that I can work to be more like Jamie Parks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Jamie. I happened upon your blog and I just have to say thank you for your kind words. They really mean a lot, especially to Lynn. She never realized how people are inspired by her desire to get better and her determination to live her life to the fullest. We know that this is part of God's plan for us because obviously it wouldn't be what we would have wanted. We also know that in heaven, there are no wheelchairs. The show will be repeated for those who missed it on Valentine's Day at 8PM Eastern and Pacific/7 Central.

Krista said...

This is truly inspiring. I love watching stories like this and am sad I missed it. I am going to watch it on Valentine's Day.