Saturday, July 18, 2009

I ran today...I mean REALLY ran

This weekend's race, the Kelly Canyon 1/2 Marathon, has been stressing me out for quite sometime now. I think mostly because I have been gorging on junk food lately and spending less and less time stretching and strengthing my muscles. You know, all the SMART parts of running. In fact, yesterday, the day before a big race, I ate mini powdered donuts, peanut butter M&M's and Cragio's all-you-can eat buffet. THIS WAS NOT THE FOOD OF CHAMPIONS as you will later read.

Morning started out good. I felt well-rested and recovered. I ate toast and a fruit bar for breakfast and even got to ride up to the start with the IF Running Icons. WAY COOL. I did however notice that I was making more trips than normal to the bathroom. Good it's now and not later though... at least I THOUGHT.

We started. The first 3 miles were a screaming downhill (I clocked a 17:20 for the first 5K)followed by a hill out of Heise and then a tortuous dirt, more ROCK, road that was very challenging to keep pace on. It was also around this point, mile 5 or so that I first stopped to use the bathroom.... in the weeds.

In ALL my races this has never happened so I was already bummed to have to take the time to stop for that. That ONE stop. Oh little did I realize...

Kept running.

Mile 7 comes. Oh dear. I have to stop again. Thankfully this time there is a welcoming orange porta potty... and a water station. YES!

I get going again and haven't been running more than 2 miles when I have to stop again in the weeds, and a mile later, AGAIN!!!

People. It was NO FUN! I was dying. My stomach was in such misery.

Finally, Jeff Shadley ran back and found me on that last mile and encouraged me the whole way in for the finish. I was SO HAPPY TO BE DONE!!!

So... I ran a race having the "runs" the whole way....hahaha That was quite the experience.

The stats??

Not a PR today, which I was really hoping for, but even with all the stopping I still snagged 1st place and 2nd overall. Only Jeff, "The Legend" beat me. His time was 15 minutes faster. Unreal. I know.

My time was 1:30:57


I will be doing that one next year though, WITHOUT the pizza gorging the night before. hahaha

7 comments:

Larsen said...

Kari....first off I think you always top me when it comes to stories like this...YOU my dear, capture the essence of blogging.

Second, remind me not to eat at Craigos.

Third, congrats on finishing, and placing too

Matt and Jessie said...

Okay that is THE WORST!! I am so sorry! I can't believe you still won!! Well, I take that back, I can, you rock! I wonder what the heck your time would have been without all the stops! You are awesome!

Ryan O'Berry said...

This was funny. That has always been my fear the few times I have ran longer races....but you did it with style I'm sure. I'm also sure every great runner has a story like this! Alisa

The Yeager Family said...

That is INSANE!! You can't run and win a race with the poopies!! But you did!!! You are unbelievable.
A side note- I have to stay away from Craigo's buffet, but only because I eat myself SICK. I just can't stop.

jeffandbrianne said...

Hahaha, oh Kari. That sucks! But you still rocked it. How the heck did you pull that off? You must have been FLYING to still pull that time. How many wins does that make for you this year? Like 50? You're inspiring for sure.

Jeff S. said...

Congrats on running a strong race! You had quite a kick coming into the finish. You are running very well and should do great at St. George. I look forward to running with you some more this summer!

jeffandbrianne said...

Having the runs and still finishing first. Unreal kari, good job.
jeff