Friday, July 24, 2009

Money and more money...

So Dave and I have tentatively been thinking about upgrading our vehicle. We like our camry and we LOVE Toyota so we've been pretty content, however, we recently were approached by Dave's parents to buy there Sequoia which will soon be out-of-lease. It's a good deal so it's got us thinking about how to best go about the changing cars thing.

Like I said, we love Toyota. They are the best we think. They retain value like crazy and run FOREVER. So we visited the dealership just to compare and see what was new with them lately.

Here's what the sales guy told me.
"It's an investment."
I laughed out-loud. I should've been more polite but I couldn't help my reply of what?? Are you serious?? Cars aren't an investment? They are a have-to item that are anything but an investment.

I know. I'm outspoken. I couldn't help it. That is just silliness. Cars lose money everyday. Investment GROW money everyday.

I hate that line. Bad line.

Anyways, the bottom line is dang, cars are EXPENSIVE!! It boils down to this...

In speaking of the family, my pick is this. The Land Cruiser. Timeless. Such a cool vehicle. BUT, also WAY spendy for a family who teaches school and checks potatoes.


This is what Dave wants. A Crewmax Tundra. I like these too. It is like as big as our Camry in the back. But again, very spendy.



This is the car we will probably get because it is steal of deal. A 2006 Sequoia. It's nice.




But let's be honest. If money was no issue I would buy one of these. A Corvette, a black one, or ANY, and I mean ANY, Ferrari. Those cars are insanely sweet. ( which sidenote, being at the Apple everyday for swimlessons I have noticed that there are a lot of people who drive NICE, very nice cars there. Geez.)_




Any of you had ANY of these vehicles? Want to give us your opinion?

7 comments:

AO said...

That is so hilarious. Sales people....thinking cars are an investment. That is too funny. I know...someday Ryan and I will have to get a bigger car I'm sure, I'm glad I have this post to refer to. I'm sure we will have to get the mini van option. Joys :)

Nancy said...

Ha, ha! Just don't let Dave get anywhere near Ricahrd and you guys should be fine:)

Matt and Jessie said...

I am glad you laughed at the salesman! I hate when people try to feed you a line that is totally CRAZY! Good luck with the car shopping. I am no help, you see the cars I drive. They are barely running!

Larsen said...

I would have laughted too! I think that the truck is nice, but it might not accomidate any more car seats than the current vehicle. You don't have to answer to me, but are you done having kids?

Cars aren't an investment, I agree, but you have to consider investing or spending your money on somethign you won't owtgrow to fast.

We love TOyota too, and had a 4 Runner for a few years. We were in a wreck and it had to be totaled, and we then got the Durango. It had to have a third row so that we didn't out grow it to fast. But we are about to the stage of needing a van or suburban. Boo, as I think the bigger it gets the less cool it is.

But it's a worldly item, and a must have, so oh well.

I am sure you will make the right choice for your family, and I hope that it's a fun experience. My car buying experiences have put me in tears every time.

I know, I am a whimp. Stupid car salesmen that make me feel dumb and scare me. (there are good sales men out there though.... we just never get them.)

okay, i have said enough, oh except, yes I love the hot sporty cars you seem to like too!

Krista said...

We had to break down and get a new car last December when Joe's car died...literally died. We ended up with a GMC Envoy. I love it! I've never had a toyota, so I am of no help. Good luck in your search.

The Flynn's said...

Yeah, we love our Ferrari! It drives great and gets great gas mileage!! :) We're actually Honda people. We still have my Civic which we have put virtually no money into and it's a great car for Scott! My dad always taught us that a car that is paid for and runs good is a GREAT car and I've definitely adopted that theory! We bought an Odyssey last year and sure, it's a van which supposedly is uncool but I could care less about cool and we love it. It's so great for kids, so comfy and SO SAFE! I'm sure we'll drive it for a long, long time.

Anonymous said...

We are a Chevy/GMC family. We feel the same about our Chevy/GMC's as you do about Toyota. We have never had any problems. They just keep running and running and running... We won't ever switch to another manufacturer. And our dream car is a Corvette or the new Camaro... in yellow. (And both Chevy's I might add!) :)