Sunday, February 22, 2009

Training really does mean training

I think this is the first time I have REALLY been following a training guide for a race. It is humbling at the very least. It has made me realize I am going after a challenging time (sub 90 min) and every workout is going to require me to push. Especially since this is the longest i will have ran since suffering with such persistant ITBand issues.

Mon- 4 miles, easy pace, focusing on upper body form + core strengthening
Tues- 1 mile warm-up followed by 3 X 1200 meter sprints running each lap in under 88 sec. 400 meter recoveries between each one. I mile recovery + 20 lower body strength
Wed- Cross train
Thurs- 8 miles in under 1 hr. + 20 minutes of upper body strength (i.e. push-ups, pull-ups, curls, rows, etc.)
Fri- 5 miles medium pace
Sat- 90 minutes of continuous running- following by 5X 20 sec footwork drills downhill working on turnovers + abs
Sunday- Rest

Tuesday sucked- bad. Those sprints were so unbelievabley fast. I couldn't get those yet. Suprisingly the long day felt the best- I ran 11.2 miles in 90 minutes, which is great progress toward the 13.1 I need in 8 weeks. And I love long runs- they just feel so good when your done, plus I just read an interesting article on how long runs rev up your metabolism (although they supress your immune system for 72 hours). Love long runs.

If you don't run, RUN! It really is a healthy addiction.

6 comments:

jeffandbrianne said...

I was a lot like our training when we ran the half marathon. The sprints are killer but I think that is where you lower your time. We signed up for a 5K in April. Not as a heroic but should be fun. I agree running can be an addiction once you pass the sucky painful part.

lexie said...

Good luck on your training. I have decided to start running too! however, my goal is to run 1 mile without stopping :)
Way to go on the coupon thing. It is soo hard to do anywhere that is not a mormon town!

jeffandbrianne said...

Sounds intense but really good! Training like that you'll definitely run your PB. You can do it, I know it :) I think my goal for this year's half marathon is 100 minutes...we will see...
-Brianne

Krista said...

You amaze me, Kari. I wish I could run still. It stinks having bad knees...maybe some day. I hope you reach your goal for all the hard work you are doing. Good luck! :-)

PS- I am going to be in IF all next week, we should get together.

Anonymous said...

What training program are you using? I really need to add in some speedwork! I wish I still was around and could train with you!

AO said...

I have a goal to start running again (I know, the whole baby thing is just not working out for me and running lately) when I can run outside in the mornings before work.... I'll probably have to start back at square ONE again.... but maybe next April I can do another half marathon. This race WAS really cool when I did it 3 years ago I think.... that was a long time ago.