Thursday, June 11, 2009

Running's Free Right???

Wrong.

I get the question quite often, "Is it expensive to run?" I struggle to answer it because everyone's journey as a runner is so personal. However, THIS WEEK, a RACE WEEK, sabotaged by sinus infections and sore muscles, has made me think, YES, running can be very expensive. Especially if you have a dream you refuse to give up on.

Sinus infection the WEEK of a race costs ya...I've spent 60 dollars on this,

a neti with silver solution for immunity PLUS ALJ, a respitory aid. I'm really trying to NOT use doctors lately so this was the alternative. I did however breakdown and use IBprofen and tylenol for the fever which WOULD NOT go away.

In my walking class on Monday I taught speed walking. BIG MISTAKE. My shins and calves were unbelievably sore. So sore I worried I'd be too sore on Saturday and spent $60 on a massage last night at Apple to strip those muscles.


Add into that running shoes at around $90 a pop every 400 miles or so.

Custom orthodics for my ridiculously high arches + physical therapy for the damage that occured prior to them.



Gear and clothes

My best friend... the Garmin 301. $185 on ebay (a steal really)

Running resources and books(which includes my fav, Running Within)

Music.. who can run without AC/DC??


Fuel..my favorites are the Roctane Orange Vanilla and Blackcherry shot bloks
Race Fees... anywhere from $10 to $75 dollars for St. George this year.

NOW you get the idea of how much goes into a sport most people think is free. haha
Obviously I think it is all SO worth it. Every one of those things makes MY journey as a runner that much more worthwhile.

I only have two miles to run today for training. Now if I can overcome this darn sinus infection, and keep stretching my ITband which has been aggravated from hill training, I think I might be able to run this weekend's race, The Teton Dam 1/2 Marathon pretty well. I've certainly done the training. BUT... I have to admit it is VERY intimidating course being so hilly. Well see how it goes I guess.

And regardless I always say by this point...

Kari- All the work is over. Now rest, relax and enjoy the ride.

Let's hope after this week it is a good one.

2 comments:

jeffandbrianne said...

Good luck, dominate the field and enjoy the ride.
jeff

Matt and Jessie said...

You will do AWESOME!! I am excited!! Sorry you have a sinus infection, it must be in the air because I have one too. Good Luck, but you don't need luck!! You are SOOOOOOOOO ready for this!